Saturday 22 April 2017

Skye fun


After an exhausting time on Torridon, we made our way over to Skye, a ‘rest day’ was on the card for most. I’m not sure if climbing a hill really counts as rest, but it was a change from biking.

Top of (Photo Rhian Anthony)


The next day we set off for the infamous Sligachan, both me and my bike were feeling a little broken by this point. But with views of the Cuillin peak and intermittent sunshine, was enough to convince me this was a good idea.

Scenic Skye riding (Photo Caroline Souter)


The path had been recently re-done and numerous drainage ditches put in place. I definitely got better at hopping over them throughout the day. Several river/stream crossing provided amusment to see who could would get through, who would get wet feet and who would just use the stepping stones and walk.
Dicing with a river crossing (Photo Caroline Souter)


Unfortunately my front suspension started to pack in, and as we rounded the top of the pass, it pretty much died altogether! Feeling pretty broken I didn’t quite make it to the bothy, turned around early and headed back to the car. Inspite of not quite completing the ride I was fairly pleased that both me and the bike had made it as far as we did!

GPS trace of shame (didn't quite make the Bothy)

 
On the way back home we stopped at the Nevis range for a quick spin round the train centre there. Since the Anthem was basically unrideable, I went to hire a bike. I was more than a little tempted by an electric bike, but the lure of trying fatbike won out. Super silly fun, I’d love to own one!

Fat Bike Mega Fun (Photo Tamsin Saxton)

Returning to Edinburgh totally broken, but big grins all round after a super few days of exploring the highland by mtb. I want to go back already!

No comments:

Post a Comment