Friday 27 October 2017

Commuting in Style - Bikepacking!

Setting off excitement!

It’s a glorious Wednesday afternoon. I send a photo of my laden bike to my boss,“I’m off!” I type. I shut down my laptop, head out the door and leap on my bike.

Work have organised a corporate event down in Peebles. Two weeks ago, the organisers sent instructions on how to get there, by car and by coach, but provided no info on arriving by bike. I made a fuss. They arranged secure bike parking, changing rooms and showers (towels provided!). Without really meaning too, I’ve committed to cycling.

I look at route options, the road routes aren’t that nice, all busy roads and no street lighting. I begin researching off-road routes. Part of the ‘capital trail’ runs from my front door down to Peebles. An idea starts to emerge. I decide to bikepack my way there, this will be the most epic commute.

What a lovely afternoon for a ride!

I set off into Pentland hills, the first part of the route is entirely uphill, it’s mostly on track though, so it should be quite quick riding. To get to Peebles before dark I need to make about 5 mph. I stop for my first snack at the top of Bavelaw, and head up across the moor.  This next section is part of the now infamous Carlops Loop. I pause for thought, I’m carrying a spare tube, puncture repair kit and strong tyre levers, if all else fails I’m also carrying a tent and 4 season bag and 8 chocolate bars. I consider myself appropriately prepared and carry on.

Om-nom, only 7 chocolates left now

Five miles into the route my watch buzzes, 1 hour 7 seconds. I’m almost exactly on schedule.

It wasn't actully as warm as it looks in the picture!

It’s quite exposed on the hillside and the wind has picked up. A lot. I’m blown sideways across the path, more than once. I start to wonder if this was really such a great idea. I struggle on, pushing my bike where it’s too windy to ride. My pace slows, but the sun is still shining.

Views back down the hill, picture doesn't really show the wind
At the top of the pass I hit a problem, a style. I’ve been struggling to lift up my bike without kit, fully laden this is going to be difficult. I stand on the style and hoik up the bike, and flop it over the fence and drop it down. My back hurts, but I’ve succeeded, no going back now!

The style of problem

At the top of Cap Law, I’m nearly blown off my bike again. I gingerly start the decent to Nine Mile burn, the further down I go the more protected I am from the wind. I let the speed pick up feeling more confident.  I pass two kids with bikes on their way up. We exchange a grin and a woop, it’s a good day to be outside.

Stream crossings: this one had the luxury of a bridge

 Halfway down the hill there’s another style, fortunately there are some kind walkers who offer to assist. I apologies profusely for the mud, they don’t seem to mind. I ride on through tracks and backroads to West Linton. I fill up my water bottle at J&R Newsagents (thanks!), and have another chocolate stop. I wonder if Nestle would sponsor me?

Drovers path way-markers, happily no actual droving on the path

The next section follows the cross-borders Drovers route. I hope not to meet any actual drovers, I really don’t like cows. Fortunatley there’s nothing in the hills but sheep today.  In fact there’s not a soul in sight, I feel like I’m in the middle of nowhere (actually I’m less than 20 miles from the centre of Edinburgh).

Not a soul in sight

I work my way across the hills towards Peebles, there’s some lovely flowy pieces of single track. There’s a couple of bogs too, my shoes get soaked, I send a silent thanks to the inventors of sealskinz, my feet are still dry.

The single track sections were ace!

The wind picks up again on the more exposed section. I round the side of Hamilton hill and can see Peebles and the Tweed Valley below. I decide to camp on the hill and save the descent into Peebles for the morning. It’s also 6 pm and I’ve got about 30 minutes before it gets dark. The wind nearly blows my tent away as I’m pitching, I consider moving on to search for a more sheltered spot, but decide against it. This will be a good test for the tent, and it’s not forecast to rain anyways.

Tent pitched and hopefully not blowing away!

I set up my stove to boil water for dinner. Unfortunately, I don’t position the pot very well and the it spills on the ground. I’d been worried about carrying enough water and so had erred on the side of caution. There’s too much farming in these hills for me to be happy taking water from streams. I have about 1 litre of water to spare, enough for dinner and a cup of tea.


I settle down to sleep, the wind blowing my tent about keeps me awake, but I remain firmly rooted to the ground. The next morning I get up in the dark and pack my stuff. Just as the sun is rising I set off down the hill into Peebles. The descent it brilliant, I even get a strava top 10 (which actually says more about the number of women who have ridden the route). I roll in to Peebles Hydro Hotel covered in mud.


Almost there! (the camera didn't capture the mud as well as I'd hoped)
True to their word there is a secure lock up for my bike and kit, as well as hot showers. I transform from dirtbag biker to corporate badass*. Happily work events always start with coffee and bacon rolls, I enthusiastically tuck in to second breakfast.
*this is what happened in my head anyways, (the reality might have been a transformation from bedraggled to rumpled).

The full loop, about 75 km
Among the more serious sessions there are always some fun challenges. Today there is a cycling challenge. How fast can you ride 4 laps of a virtual velodrome on a static bike. I didn’t mean to get involved, I know I have another 35 km to cycle home, but I’m too competitive not to. No half measures, I set the women's record for the day.

 
Top of Maidens' Cleugh, nearly home

I’ve a simpler route planned for the way home, shoot up the A703 to Penicuik hop over to Flotterstone, and cross the Pentlands over Maidens’ Cleugh. My goal was to get off the A roads before nightfall. I achieve this with time to spare. I take another cheeky chocolate stop and start the climb over Maidens’. It’s tough work on a loaded bike, and I slightly regret taking on the virtual velodrome earlier in the day. I reach the top of the pass at Sunset. 

It's all down hill form here!

I fire up my lights, it’s all downhill from here to home. I’ve done it. I’m not setting any records on the way down, but I’m grinning from ear to ear. I arrive home just after 7. Brilliant.

Finally home, I made it!

Obligatory 'all the kit' pic





2 comments:

  1. Nice one Rach. We should organise a non-paddling (heresy!) adventure =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes we should! where in the world are you now Riik?

      Delete