Sunday 30 December 2018

Go Big and Go Home - Riding home for Christmas


It’s 7:30am, I’ve ridden less than a mile, and I’ve fallen off my bike. Sprawled across the A70, with rush hour just starting, I feel Very Silly. This is the tale of my ride home for Christmas.....

All set a ready to go, (about 15 mins before crashing)

Every year I ponder how I am going to get home for Christmas. It’s about 450miles from Edinburgh to Southampton. I’ve tried driving, flying, sleeper bus, train, and even Megabus (a definite low point).

I’ve often considered cycling, but never been confident I could actually make it. This year I'm still not confident but thought I’d set off anyway and see what happened. Being a month out from the Strathpuffer I figured this would be a good time to put in some long rides.


Waaa I'm setting off, (not my best look)


Day 1: Edinburgh to Carlisle



This is where I fall off, less than a mile from my front door. I’ve set off wearing my mtb helmet (it’s easier to fix a light to it) the visor obscures my vision a bit and I’ve got my head down focused on the ride ahead. I don’t see the parked car in front of my until it’s too late. I swerve too hard to avoid it and end up landing on my shoulder. A car coming in the other direction stops “are you OK?” he enquired. “Yes yes I’m fine, just an idiot” I reply.  He drives off and I wonder if I actually am ok...

I am so embarrassed. I’d told a lot of people about this ride, that I wasn’t sure if I’d make it, but that I was pretty confident I’d get to Carlisle. I can't bail after 1 mile! My shoulder is quite sore, especially if I need to make a hand signal. But then most of day 1 is on one road – no hand signals required! I (metaphorically) shrug my shoulders, suck it up and get on with riding. From here on I keep my head up for a good view of obstacles in the road ahead. Lesson learned!

A small window of blue sky! I definitely got lucky with the weather

I stop in Abington for a quick coffee stop, I’m making OK progress if I keep this up I might get to Carlisle before dark. In Gretna I stop by ‘the sign’ for the welcome to England photo. 


Arriving in England, and puncturing in the process :-(

Unfortunately whilst hauling my bike up to the sign I get a shard in my tyre and puncture. (is the universe trying to send me a message?). Puncture fixed I get on my way arriving at my Premier Inn accommodation for the night. It’s the last Friday before Christmas and the bar is full of noisy people celebrating finishing up work for the holidays. I find the quietest corner I can and eat double portions of dinner, before turning in early.

-side note Premier Inn has a bike friendly policy, so long as your bike is clean(ish) you can bring it into the room. No need to haul a chunky padlock around.

Day 2: Carlisle to Chorley



My knees are a bit sore from not having the bike set up quite right in the early part of the previous day’s ride. I think about taking a rest day and hopping on the train, but the forecast is nice for today and the ride through the lake district should be a highlight. I’ve a scab on my shoulder from falling off, it’s still a bit stiff making hand signal, but I’m riding on the A6 all day so hand signals still largely not required…


Coffee stop in Chapter 12 coffee Rooms

I set off promising myself a coffee stop in Penrith. It takes a longer to get to Penrith than I expected, still I find a gem of a café in the centre of town. I lean my bike up and shuffle in, the manager comes over asking if that’s my bike outside. He invites me to bring it inside ‘there’s plenty of space’. How nice! The food is yummy too, Chapter 12 coffee rooms in Penrith highly recommended!

All the best trips come with 'Danger' signs!

Then I set off over the Shap summit this will be the highest point on the ride. And there’s a helpful road sign to warn me it could be rather sketchy in winter. Luckily the weather is about as mild as it’s possible to be in December, so no ice worries today. I work my way over the pass, it’s a nice steady climb and I find a good rhythm. I get to the summit and reward myself with a summit pie, the views are probably wonderful, but it’s misty and starting to spit with rain so I ride on. A nice long decent takes me into Kendal. Then onwards for another premier inn in Chorley.


Shap summit: A cheeky pie and selfie in the drizzle


Day 3 Chorley to Kidderminster
The forecast is for rainrainrain, my knees are a bit stiff, and I’m not confident about today’s route(is that enough excuses?). It seems like a good day to take a short cut on the train. 
Northern Rail - best bike facilities I've seen
More trains like this please

On the upside though my shoulder is feel mostly better. I catch the train from Chorley to Stafford, where I re-join my route for 35 miles of back roads and mucky canal paths in the rain. I arrive in Kidderminster with a bike covered in mud. Fortunately there’s a garage with a pressure wash next to the Premier Inn, a rather surprised driver offers me the last 2 mins of her wash. I gratefully accept and rinse most of the mud off before checking in.

Day 4: Kidderminster to Southampton



This is the longest day of the whole trip. I’m 135 miles from home and if I make it, this will be the furthest I’ve ever cycled in a oner. I’m fresh from yesterday’s rest and decide to set off early to make headway…

The day starts badly, I find myself on a slip road to a busy dual carriageway in the dark and mist. There is no cycle path by the side. I fruitlessly poke at my phone for about 20 mins. To avoid this bit of road I would have to cycle an extra 10 miles, which just seems too far. I tell my self to toughen up and ride it. I attached my emergency back up lights (alongside my other riding in the dark lights), and remind myself I’m wearing the worlds shiniest reflective jacket. Lit up like a Christmas tree, I pedal on. Actually it’s not so bad, being dual carriageway driver are able to use the other lane to pass me.


Dawn breaking on Gloucestershire, Sunrise makes everything better.

Pretty soon dawn comes, the mist clears, and everything feels better. I’m speeding along making good time again. I can see the Cotswolds ahead of me and I feel like I’m properly in the south of England. I enjoy a quick coffee stop in Cheltenham and then I’m climbing over the Cotswolds. It’s easier than I expected, possibly because I’ve been anticipating it. the short sharp climbs I didn’t spot when route planning are the ones I find most energy zapping.

Soon I arrive in Swindon, I’m still 60 miles from home but this is the last feasible bail point for trains. If I crash and burn  after this I’ll have to resort to summoning the parental rescue wagon and I don’t think they’ll be happy about it. I’m feeling strong I think I’ve got anther 60 miles in me, so I carry on.


Greasy spoon lunch
Check out that coronation mug

Next, I cross the North Wessex Downs AONB, I’m on a mix of back roads and gravel track, the rolling country side flies past. It looks spectacular against the setting sun. I make a mental note to come back and explore in the future.
The last big milestone is crossing the A303 (for Scottish people this road is a bit like the A9 of the South West). I check my Garmin, only 25 miles to go! For the first time I feel confident I’m going to make it. I fire up my night lights and get peddling, the last bit passes in a blur. The back roads of Hampshire are a delight to cycle on, I feel like I'm flying as I pass through Middle Wallop (that name has always made me chuckle).

I’m getting closer and closer to home, funnily I don’t recognise any of the roads, until I’m about 5 miles out. Finally, at 7:30 pm on Christmas Eve, I arrive a sweaty mess, on Mum and Dad’s door step. I’m hustled inside with just enough time to shower before dinner.


Home! Just time for a quick bike selfie before knocking on the door


What an adventure, what a way to get home for Christmas!

..............

People have asked quite a few questions about this trip, here are the answers to some of them…

Did you cycle back again? No, I got the train! One way was quite enough!

Were your parents worried? I think they expect this kind of thing from me by now, the only query mum had was how I planned to cross the A303. I was more worried they didn’t take me seriously when I told them they were the emergency standby vehicle for the final day!

Where did you stay/you didn’t camp did you: I stayed in Premier Inn’s because they are so bike friendly. I’d loved to have camped, but with no way to charge anything this would not have worked. (in fact charging was a logistical challenge anyway I carried a Garmin, phone, smartwatch, 3xfront lights, 3xbacklights, headphones and battery pack which all needed charging)

Would you do it again? Maybe, although I’d like camp it if I did it again, I’d just need to invest in a dynamo hub first! Also I’m very aware that I lucked out with the weather, I doubt I get a forecast so promising again.

Did you carry clothes to wear over the break? I had one set of clothes to wear in the evenings but I also relied on my mum and sister for clothes and shoes. Fortunately we’re all about the same size.

Did you carry all your Christmas presents? No. This is why internet shopping was invented!

I guess you put your feet up over the rest of Christmas? Nope!
Having a bash on mum's brompton,
the annual boxing day family ride, a casual 60km



No comments:

Post a Comment